Bronzed Rocking Horse
I brought this horse from a second hand tool shop for $20. It is made of light inexpensive wood, and it had a bright yellow, red, white and blue Indonesian style paint scheme. It had no ears, it’s tail wasn’t joined and it’s legs plugged into the body but didn’t sit flush. There were large 1 – 2cm gaps between all of the joins and the hooves were badly damaged.
Unfortunately I don’t have any previous, or working photos – so I can’t share with you the picture show. But I can tell you what we did.
Firstly, we gave it a good sand back to start and then glued all of the joins in place. When the glue was dry I went to work with builders putty to close up the gaps. My husband kindly knocked a few nails into the spots where the ears should have been and I rebuilt the ears around the nails using air drying clay, then back filled with newtech and builders putty. We left it for a few days to fully cure and then touched up any shrinkage gaps that had appeared. Once happy, a few coats of primer to finish the undercoat, and then final and best part was the application of the bronze paint and acid to finally create the aged bronze patina look.
I used about 3 sets to complete the horse. This special paint set consists of a bronze undercoat, and an acid top coat. These types of paints are also known as Gilding Liquids they are fine and precious metal powders suspended in a transparent varnish. There are all sorts of gilding liquids to choose from in the Pebeo range. It’s one of my favourite pieces I’ve made, everyone that sees it thinks it is a real bronze. LOL.
I brought this statue for $30 of an auction site. It is made of composite metals and had been dropped so there was slight damage to the hand and Axe that it held. It stands 1 metre 17cm high, it was tricky trying to get it in the back of my little car.
I knew immediately what I was going to do with it when I brought it. Our vacuum cleaner had not long died, and had been retired to the shed to collect dust until we got rid of it. So I got the statue home, removed the Axe head from the pole and confirmed my suspicions that the handle/pipe was hollow. I then cut the vacuum cleaner cord of at the machine end (leaving the plug intact on the other end) and feed the cord up through the hollow handle/pipe. I had previously picked up a light/switch fitting and shade and assembled all of the bits, wired and tested, and PRESTO. Fancy pants light!!!! I really, really wanted to use the 1920’s blown glass lemon drop light shade that I have – but my husband thought it was a bit too much – so I’m willing to compromise with a modern mock suede shade. For now.