My ‘birth week’ is approaching very soon (every year I try and take a week off around my birthday so I can have some much needed me time). The plan for my birth week includes a good clean out of my wardrobe, followed by a few pattern making sessions and a lot of sewing.
This weekend I readied my dress form for many a future draping session by measuring and padding it out to match my measurements. It was super easy to do – I used a couple of old singlets, a couple of old shoulder pads to smooth out the gaps and add size to the bust and a foam strip (trimmed off an old polyester duvet inner) to pad out the waist. All I did was put a singlet onto the dress form, pinned all the padding into place and then pulled over the second singlet…. Viola.
It’s a little lumpy and bumpy, and lopsided in the photos but after a little encouragement I’ve managed to smooth and straighten most of it out. As long as it is close enough to my measurements I can work with it.
I tried it out with a quick art deco inspired dress in black lace. It’s a bit of a refashion project. I already had the lace bodice, which was full of holes and cut across the front, missing about an inch of the lace in the lower front panel. I’ve had this singlet in my lace bin for so long that I forgot I had it.
I started the project by repairing all of the little holes (the photo above is post repairs) and ensuring the integrity of the circle link hemline remained intact. Following a further forage in my lace bin, that produced more black lace and fringed trim, I got to work pinning and hand stitching until the dress was realised. The lace is so delicate and sheer. The materials I have used are mixture of crochet lace, machine lace and medium length black fringing to create movement. The bodice also has hand stitched black square sequin detail on the front and a drop waist in the back. I’ve also used the fringing in a drop shoulder cap sleeve on both sides (I am undecided whether I will detail these further), unfortunately it is not evident from the photos as my dress form is lacking arms.
I’m really happy with the results, I need only to make a gold satin slip to wear underneath and I will have a complete outfit.
To keep the dress versatile I will leave it sheer, that way I can modernise the look with a long singlet and leggings underneath for a stylish less formal work wear or go full glam with a silky slip, either way this dress will endure and be a regular feature in my wardrobe (anyone know of a gatsby themed event coming up?). I have a wedding to go to in about 3 weeks and this will be one of my clothing choices, accessorised with a gold slip, my little art deco gold mesh bag and a pair of black lace gloves, I also want to make a little headpiece, nothing too out there, just something to make my hair match the outfit… Perfect!
In the next fortnight I plan to make a backless, gold, cross-over front – Art deco inspired dress – which will be option number two for the upcoming wedding function (seriously, I need a string of Gatsby themed events to go too, or a time machine, either will do). Also, I just received my upcoming birthday present from my hubby – yay!!! – After a fair amount of hinting and intentionally leaving clues he succumbed and brought me PATTERN MAGIC and PATTERN MAGIC 2 by Tomoko Nakamichi……. I am in awe with the amazing designs and can’t wait to try some of them out. I’ve picked out the ‘apple peel’ pant to make first – cant wait!