I picked up this cute single duvet cover from a thrift store for $5. The minute I saw it, I developed a plan for it. The duvet cover is black cotton with pastel shade flowers and leaves. I chose to use the cover for the main part of this sun dress. For the shoulders and cummerbund I wanted a fabric that had strength and support and was complementary in colour. I found some scrappy grey suede/tweed look upholstery fabric and went with that. In hindsight this move was a logistical nightmare and I may think twice before committing to using such a difficult fabric for any future projects – just trying to feed it through the machine and to get it to be flexible enough to manipulate was near impossible, but I am not a quitter and so persevered…………..
I found this cute pattern also in a thrift store for 0.20cents and it was complete and uncut – SCORE!! Unfortunately I saw on the packet it was a SZ18 –24 I took it home anyway because it was too cute to leave in the shop, for just 0.20cents I could take a risk. I was thinking I could at least try and redraw the pattern and attempt to derive something similar. I spent months mulling over different methods on how I was going to attempt this and I finally checked the measurements on the back of the packet – I should have done this to begin with (another ‘in hindsight’ moment). It turns out the pattern in not in NZ sizing so 18 is actually a 12-14. BRILLIANT!!!!
It took me an age to get this dress finished. I started this dress over a month ago but then got posted in my new job so I was unable to find the time to finish it. This weekend I was rearranging furniture to accommodate my new desk and spent a lot of time in my sewing room as a result, so by Sunday I was a bit sick of seeing this unfinished dress on my mannequin so I had to do something about it.
I am relieved it is finished and I am pleased with the results. I have a new appreciation for the difficulty of Vogue patterns but I am most ecstatic about the new tips and tricks I have picked up as a result of this pattern.
I am glad to report I SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED AN INVISABLE ZIP!!!
Yes that’s right all that practice has finally paid off. I wouldn’t say the ZIPPER and I are friends just yet, but we are getting there. I also learnt the French seam technique. Click here for more information on French seams. My new favourite technique has to be the French seam. So tidy and efficient and such a beautiful finish, if you don’t own an overlocker or are interested in couture or lingerie techniques you need to look up this technique – it is super easy to execute and is a technique you can use in all of your sewing projects.
Thanks for visiting here are some pictures of my dress on a poorly adjusted dress form……. But you get the gist.