I love constructing coats they are complicated enough that I don’t loose interest and the finished result is worth every minute of effort put in.
I have always wanted, but never owned anything in animal print. Mainly because the autumn shades (beige, apricot, tan etc) washout my olive complexion and make me look jaundice. I am best with dark or bright pure colours.
Monday, I went out on a small holiday shopping trip and happened upon some gorgeous linen in the back of a thrift store. A Cheetah print single duvet cover and a bright red Queen size duvet cover for $5 each. I quickly snapped them up and took them home.
I then made a coat loosely based on my favourite vintage coat pattern Simplicity 7868 (now out of print).
I love this pattern and have made a number of coats from it, that I know every little intricate detail of it’s construction off by heart. So, it’s now easy for me to add in bits and adjusts parts here and there to get what I want out of it.
In this coat I added belt loops and made a belt from the red duvet cover and a hood. I have also made the coat double breasted with long cuffs. To resolve the complexion/colour issue I used the red duvet at the areas closet to my face and throughout the coat to dull down the crazy animal print factor. I wanted it to look more chic than zoo escapee.
The coat hem sits just below the knee and pulls in at the waist with the belt (the very first belt I have ever made woohoo!). The coat front and back features princess seams and the hemline flares from the waist in a soft A-Line shape offering the most flattering silhouette. It is fully lined and I used self cover buttons to ensure the red shades were kept pure. – I find if there are too many colours incorporated into a piece it ruins the overall look and appears to be ‘thrown’ together without much thought for resulting visual noise.
The best thing is, I still have more material left over – another excellent investment!
Don’t forget to follow my blog and let me know what you like the most!!