I just finished this dress today.
I have discovered zips are not my friend and installing them is an absolute nightmare when dealing with tricky fabrics. I know that now and I will have to put in double practice time if I wish to succeed with them in the future.
This dress started life as two skirts, a fabric sample square and a vintage metal zip.
I started off using a pattern called the Danielle dress but I found the measurements to be strange, I forgot to print off the instructions and the resulting pattern pieces I had did not fit together properly…… I think it was just me not taking the time to read things properly and rushing a little bit……
Anyway, long story short I got fed up with the pattern not working out, so I used it as a base and made my own design from it to accommodate the pieces I had already cut.
The back of the skirt is the only part left in the original design. I shortened the back bodice and crafted that out of black and white printed silk. The front bodice I shaped with pleats and darts around the bust using red/pink and black snake skin printed PVC. The skirt fabric is 100% woven wool. I put three pleats in the front of the skirt and hemmed it at knee length. There is a vintage metal zip in the back of the bodice.
The resulting style is a highly structured bodice with an empire waist line descending into a soft A-Line flare.
Needs a good pressing and lining made up for the skirt and I am toying with the idea of belt loops and a specially made thin belt… but you get the gist.
Click on the images to enlarge