Here are some really good links on ways for you to recycle plastic bags.
Plarn has recently become popular with the eco-minded crochet and knitting crafters out there or freecycling converts among us. Basically, you take a plastic bag and cut it into strips, interlocking each loop to create a continuous strip of plastic, then you need to ply it into plarn. Just like spinning a thread….. here are some links on how to create your own plarn.
- Very easy tutorial on youtube – ‘How to make Plarn’
- Tutorial on Instructables – ‘How to make plarn for crochet and knitting’
Plarn is so versatile – it’s waterproof, it’s strong, it’s almost indestructible, and easy to clean…. just to mention a few of its attributes.
You can knit with it, crochet, hand stitch with it – anything you can do with conventional thread you can do with Plarn. Just a little imagination is required.
There is so much out there on the web about Plarn. Here are a few links I found featuring inspirational creations you may like:
- Check out ‘Zween’ and her amazing plarn goodies – ‘Zween’s blog’
- Check out BagsBeGone creations and courses here – BagsBeGone website
- Moira over at blogspot has a entire blog focussed on Plarn and crochet here – ‘Moira crochets plarn’
- Plastic Bag Crafts offers free patterns on how to make a range of different things, check out the amigurumi buddies post here – ‘Plastic Bag Crafts’