This weekend I decided to ‘have a go’ at making something more complicated… and has proved quite challenging.
Anyone out there who want’s to try making this kimono jacket here is a link to the free-pattern. It is an amazing couture jacket that requires patience and intermediate origami skills.
This is what it should look like
Below is what I have ended up with.
It is only pinned at the moment – I am going to assess and reassess the points of fabric manipulation and the instructions which are albeit brief and not very detailed.
As you can see the front is not meeting as it should the long part of the collar should cross over and sit above the shorter part. I think this is because I have overdone it with the folding in the back.
Lucky it is only pinned for now.
I have been struggling with this coat for 2 days now – so I am going to pack it away for a while and revisit it later.
This is the back view of the jacket
- tea coloured heavy drill cotton (outer)
- cotton/polyester/brushed velvet upholstery (gold damask panels – outer)
- polyester (back hem facing – inside jacket)